Nursing Home Questions
- When was the facility last inspected?
- Ask if you can interview Department Heads
- What deficiencies were cited, if any? Ask to see the last survey.
- Who do I call when I have questions about care?
- How many residents does a nurse care for during a day, evening, or night shift?
- How many residents does a nurse's aide care for during a day, evening, or night shift?
- What arrangement does the facility have for medical services such as doctor visits and specialized equipment and therapies?
- What transportation arrangements does the facility have for the residents?
- What special training does the staff have?
- What are the policies for deposits, refunds, and bed holds?
- How does the nursing home safeguard against loss of residents' personal belongings?
- How much advance notice does the facility provide before increasing charges for regular or additional services?
- How do you select a roommate for the resident?
- What types of activities are included in the facility's social program? Ask to see the activity calendar.
- What are the designated visiting hours? Can exceptions be made for special needs?