For assistance, support or if you're in a crisis, call us, it's free: 855-462-0100

Veterans Benefits


General Qualifications for Non-Service Connected
Veteran's Aid and Attendance


  • Veteran must have served at least ninety days active duty with one day of the ninety during a qualified war period (ninety days must generally be consecutive, with some exceptions)


  • Veteran must have had an “other than dishonorable discharge”


  • Claimant’s physician must declare him/her as housebound and in need of assistance from another individual, which may include services offered by assisted living


  • Claimant should have less than $80,000.00 in household assets; excluding primary home, car, and personal belongings (if assets are jointly owned by other than spouse, only the claimant’s share is generally countable. In the case of a married veteran, both his/her assets are countable. Although $80k is typically the asset cap, the VA may also consider the claimant’s life expectancy and demand lower total assets. In the case of excessive assets, it may be best to consult with a qualified financial advisor.


  • Claimant’s household out-of-pocket yearly medical expenses must exceed or come close to his/her total yearly household gross income (total yearly cost of assisted living is typically considered a medical expense)


  • Widowed spouse must have been living with the veteran at the time of the veteran’s death, unless the separation was due to medical or military reasons (there may be some exceptions related to separations due to abuse)


2012 Maximum Pension Rates for Aid and Attendance
Single Veteran                          $1,704.00 Per Month or $20,448.00 Per Year
Married Veteran                        $2,020.00 Per Month or $24,240.00 Per Year
Veteran w/a Sick Spouse           $1,338.00Per Month or $16,056.00 Per Year
Surviving Spouse                       $1,094.00 Per Month or $13,128.00 Per Year
Veteran Married to Veteran         $2,672.00 Per Month or $32,064.00 Per Year


Once awarded aid and attendance or housebound status, a veteran may obtain free medications, medical equipment, incontinence supplies, glasses, and hearing aids from the VA hospital/clinic via U.S. mail without going to the VA clinic or hospital. A separate application must be made through the health care system.


**Note: Each VA Claim is Unique and the Above Criteria is Generic in Nature and May Not be Applicable to Each Claimant.